[MPlayer-users] arg, frustration with 3 pass divx encoding...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jan 6 10:43:13 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:08:19AM -0600, christopher j bottaro wrote:
> ok, i just read the thread you refered me to.  you suggest lowering the fps to
> 23.973.  the other guy suggests raising the bitrate by ~1.2.
>
> which will produce better quality video?  =)

If it's a US DVD made from a movie (as opposed to material originally
for television), you MUST use -ofps 23.976 or the output file will
have tons of duplicated frames and bitrate will be all wrong. It has
to do with the silly hack they use to convert 24 fps movie material to
29.97 fps tv refresh. Using -ofps 23.976 will not in this case reduce
the framerate, because the extra frames in the source material were
just duplicates to begin with.

Rich