[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and Mandrake Linux

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 10 11:32:57 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:59:59AM +0000, gabor wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 07:48, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Just wanted to inform all of you about Mandrake Linux voting system. The
> > > voting system controls wich RPMs that is to be included in the next
> > > release of Mandrake Linux.
> > >
> > > Today Mandrake 9.1 beta was announced and voting has opened for wich
> > > RPMs that is to be included, guess what application is topping the list?
> > >
> > > Yes, that.s right, Mplayer is... :)
> >
> > I hope they won't follow suse and include a stripped-down (all nice features
> > disabled, even asf support removed and so on) unusable version.
>

> depends....
>
> i think they won't include the win32 codecs....
> i think they can't

Including the MS binaries is one thing, but it's perfectly fine to
compile with the win32 loader enabled so that users who want the
codecs can download and install them themselves without having to
recompile mplayer. There's no point in leaving out the feature (unless
you're like me and compile mplayer over and over and get tired of
wasting time compiling win32 crap :).

> but for things like that there's plf ( plf.zarb.org ),
> which is simply a mandrake-rpm-source for programs which are legally
> problematic ( hinting-enabled freetype, libdvdcss and so on )

It's a shame that the distro vendors won't stand up for something and
include these things...

> so basically there is a mplayer.rpm in mandrake-cooker and a mplayer.rpm
> in plf... the first one has those not-100%-legal parts disabled, the
> second one enabled.

Better than nothing maybe? I dunno. IMHO they should leave out the
crippled stuff entirely so that everyone who wants to use it will go
get the real version rather than complaining to mplayer lists about
missing features in the crippleware version.

Rich