[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and Mandrake Linux

Götz Waschk waschk at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Fri Jan 10 12:52:12 CET 2003

Am Freitag, 10. Januar 2003, 05:32:57 Uhr MET, schrieb D Richard Felker III:
> Including the MS binaries is one thing, but it's perfectly fine to
> compile with the win32 loader enabled so that users who want the
> codecs can download and install them themselves without having to
> recompile mplayer. There's no point in leaving out the feature (unless
> you're like me and compile mplayer over and over and get tired of
> wasting time compiling win32 crap :).

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the mplayer package of Mandrake. The only things
disabled in the mplayer package ATM are libmpdvdkit for it's decss
code, libfaad and libmp3lame support. The win32 dlls work once you
copy them to /usr/lib/win32, the plf package does this automatically
by depending on a win32-codecs package.

> It's a shame that the distro vendors won't stand up for something and
> include these things...

It's too expensive. Mandrake is in a difficult financial situation, I
wonder how much they had to pay for including mp3 support in 9.0.

> Better than nothing maybe? I dunno. IMHO they should leave out the
> crippled stuff entirely so that everyone who wants to use it will go
> get the real version rather than complaining to mplayer lists about
> missing features in the crippleware version.

It's not that much crippled, but who knows, I suspect the mpeg4 stuff
of being a ticking bomb.

--
   Götz Waschk <> master of computer science  <> University of Rostock
 http://wwwtec.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~waschk/waschk.asc for PGP key