[MPlayer-users] dvd (ac3) volume <-> standard (mp3) volume

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Fri Jan 10 23:30:35 CET 2003

Hi

Whenever I playback a DVD the volume is _way_ lower than my
normal volume. If I try to adjust it, the sound is unuseable
(buzz) even on absolute mixer maximum. Afair:

- Ac3 sound is less normalized, so I tried -aop list=volnorm but
  it didn't help much (not at all).
- Ac3 is less intense than mp3 too. So I tried -af volume=30
  (this gave me the same level as xmms).
- Windows and Mac players adjust it automatially.

So I asked myself:

- Can it really be that ac3 is over 30db less intense than the
  rest?
- Is my solution (-aop list=volnorm -af volume=30) the best or
  is there a better way?
- If it's really that common to adjust it automatically, why
  doesn't mplayer do it?
- Maybe the problem lies somewere else...

I have a SB Live (without digital output) and use cvs emu10k1
drivers (if you need more informations tell me).

The problem existed since many years (for me). Btw: The volume
for mp3s (mplayer) is lower than in xmms too. (?)

Regards
    Jonas