[MPlayer-users] RE: 3pass mencoding creates shorter length video

Georgi Hristov georgi at eontechnologies.bg
Mon Jan 13 10:25:49 CET 2003

> no, it's a 2cd ac3 avi, which i'm converting to a 1cd vbr mp3, with a
little
> lower video bitrate. it's just a normal 23.976 framerate movie, and the
> thing that made me report it is that virtualdub did handle it ok. to
arpi's
> question - yes, i did get lots of skipped frames in the begining at about
6%
> of the job, but for what i remember it was not a problem in other cases.
>
> the strange thing is that i've used the same routine for other movies, and
> it never failed - so it's either wrong frames in the movie, or some new
bug.
> i'll do some more tests (though they take helluva time) and if it repeats
> with other movies, i'll report to you.

ok, one of the movies that mencoder couldn't eat, was fine for virtualdub,
but the second turned out to be a problem for it too. there is at least one
gap of about 15seconds in it and vdub just died there. i guess for mencoder
it's because of the 3pass and the audio in frameno being fine, so instead of
skipping both audio and video for 15sec, it puts the audio where there could
be no video frames...

regards,
joro