[MPlayer-users] DVD authoring and VobSub subtitles

Tomas Morkus tmorkus at intac.cz
Mon Jan 13 12:24:00 CET 2003

Hi all,

my interest is to do complete DVD authoring and converting under Linux
using great tools as mplayer/mencoder and transcode.
Because there is no working solution for real DVD authoring, I use the
IfoEdit, which is free Windows tool for creating, editing and authoring
IFOs and VOBs. Fortunatelly if works great under WINE :-) (IfoEdit can
be find there: www.doom9.org).
IfoEdit can multiplex standard video stream in m2v and audio stream in
mpa or ac3 - both can work with standard streams created by Linux tools
as transcode. Unfortunatelly it uses his own subtitle format which is
very simmilar to VobSub or VOB subtitle format, but not the same. There
is a small Windows utility to convert VobSub to IfoEdit subtitles
(Subtosup program, also can be find at the same page as IfoEdit). So is
possible to dump subtitles using mencoder into VobSub format and then to
convert it to IfoEdit format. But this is not very comfortable.
So please, is there any possibility to add the IfoEdit format of
subtitles to mencoder ? It would be great :-)

My second question is about the possibility to create VobSub (or IfoEdit
;-)) subtitles from SubRip or simmilar DivX subtitle type. I mean: I
have e.g. video and audio stream from the digital satellite, but there
aren't subtitles. So my idea is to use DivX subtitles, convert them into
VobSub or IfoEdit subtitles use IfoEdit to create IFOs and VOBs and burn
them on the DVD-R as standard DVD video with switchable subtitles.
Because mplayer can generate great quality subtitles form DivX files, I
think, that this might be possible to do it with mplayer/mencoder. I
tried something simmilar, but it didn't work :-)

mencoder movie.mpg -nosound -ovc frameno -sub subtitle_srt -vobsubout
subtitle_vobsub

Silly idea :-))) But is there any possibility how to do it ?

Thanks for any answer,

Tomas Morkus.