[MPlayer-users] Problems playing Wolf Rain ep2 [keep-anbu] (divx5 encode)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 16 22:03:36 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:29:38PM +0000, frizop at charter.net wrote:
> 	I am trying to get this avi file to play, and I've talked to friends
> who say i MUST use the Divx codec to play it else, it will be garbled
> and unreadable. I know mplayer uses ffdshow or ffd something by default
> to play Divx encodes now my question is, has anybody gotten the opendivx
> codec to work with mplayer?
>
> I've tryed to downlaod and install the opendivx codec like this
>
> root at l33t:/home/jidar/divx4linux-20020418# ls
> DivX MPEG-4 Codec and Its Interface.pdf  decore.h   install.sh
> libdivxencore.so
> RELNOTES.linux                           encore2.h  libdivxdecore.so
> license.txt
> root at l33t:/home/jidar/divx4linux-20020418# ./install.sh
> root at l33t:/home/jidar/divx4linux-20020418# ldconfig
>
> but is there some special option I need to pass off to mplayer to get it
> to work?

OpenDivX is ancient and completely useless. It only decodes files
generated by OpenDivX which are essentially nonexistent. ALL
mpeg4-type files (including divx3/4/5, opendixv, xvid, wmv1 and 2) can
and should be decoded by lavc (which has been ported to windows as
ffdshow), and which is included in mplayer if you follow the
installation instructions.

If you have problems with these files, but they work with divx on
windows, upload them to mplayerhq.hu ftp's incoming dir and submit a
bug report.

Rich