[MPlayer-users] Fonts .. OSD Fine/Subtitles garbled

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 24 11:38:44 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:51:26AM +0100, Patrick Debois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i've downloaded the fonts font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar
> unzipped them in my mplayer/share/fonts as described in the manual
>
> OSD works fine and gives nice antialiased fonts.
>
> But subtitles are NOT antialiased it seems.

DVD subtitles? They're bitmaps and unrelated to fonts.

However, if you want to make them look better, try getting latest CVS
(I just committed this feature) and use -spuaa 20. If you have success
with it, please tell us!

> as i have a lot of files to rip this weekend ;-)

BTW, it's usually much nicer to rip the movie without 'burning'
subtitles into it, and instead making text subtitles or vobsub files
to go with the avi file. This not only makes it easy to turn subtitles
off or reposition them if you want to, but it also improves encoding
quality, since the sharp outlines of text and its presence over top of
a moving background make motion estimation fail and cause you to use
up more bits.

Rich