[MPlayer-users] can't find -npp lb in man pages

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Jan 26 21:19:42 CET 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 01:35:53PM -0600, christopher j bottaro wrote:
> hmm, so it has to do with the x server refreshing at a different rate than the
> tv, right (a dumbed down way of saying what you said)?  so i restarted x

No, if the problem was what I was talking about, then it has to do
with XV writing to video memory at times other than during vertical
retrace period. However, your report now makes it sound like the
problem may be a bit different.

> using my tv as the only output device (i.e. no multiple x screens, just one x
> screen...the tv) and the playback was perfect...no tearing at all.  so i
> figured, hmm, if i can get my monitor to use the same refresh rates as my tv,
> then i could use use multiple x screens and playback divx's on the tv with no
> tearning...right?  wrong.  what gives?  i made my tv and monitor have the
> same horizsync and vertrefresh so doesn't that mean the x server >has< be
> using the correct horizsync and vertrefresh for tv output?

No matter what, the card is always using the right refresh rates for
the tv out or you won't get a picture!

Also, it's very doubtful that you got it to use the same refresh for
the monitor -- I've never seen a monitor that could sync to a refresh
rate so low.

My guess is that the card/driver is doing something weird with this
dual output mode. Are you trying to display the same picture on both
tv and monitor, or using them as two separate displays? I'm not sure
you'll find a fix other than waiting for a new driver (maybe complain
to nvidia that their driver is broken?)...

Rich