[MPlayer-users] Playing large frame-size uncompressed sequences

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 28 06:45:57 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:12:38PM -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Gurus,
>
> Very soon our laboratory will be acquiring several sequences
> of progressive HDTV data. 10 second long sequences.
>
> Each frame is 1920x1440.  The data will either be
> in YUV 4:2:2,  YUV 4:2:0, or RGB format, progressive, 60 fps.
>
> I can convert the individual frames to any uncompressed format that
> Mencoder/Mplayer would like in order for Mencoder to generate me a
> playable file.

If they're RGB, probably go for PNG as input. I'm not sure what raw
YUV formats mplayer supports right now, but there should be something
that works.

> My question is: will Mplayer be able to play this in "real time"
> (i.e. 60 fps) out of memory?  I'm prepared to put the 4 or 5 GBytes of
> Ram in the machine and get whatever video card is necessary.  Will a
> dual 1.3 GHz Athlon (or similar) machine handle the needed data rates?

Dual won't help you one bit. Go for the maximum clock you can get
instead. For max video performance and quality you should probably get
a Matrox G400. That way you can use mga_vid, which will avoid some
unnecessary copying from going through the X server, and updates will
be synced to vertical retrace so you won't see shearing. Also the
filters are said to be much higher quality than on the "gamer" cards,
but I don't know much about that.

Rich