[MPlayer-users] subtitle dump

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 28 17:28:17 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:16:31PM +0200, Mihai RUSU wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have some movies AVI encoded and with VOB subtitles. They have their
> .idx and .sub files. mplayer seems to recognize that automagically and I
> can see the subtitles very nice while watching. But I want to dump them in
> a MicroDVD format. I have tried this:
> mplayer gigi.avi -dumpsub -dumpmicrodvdsub

Vobsubs are bitmaps. What do you want mplayer to do, OCR them for you?
:)

There's actually stuff to do this (using gocr) in the TOOLS directory,
but it's very experimental and requires some manual intervention.
Personally I think I'd just use the timing information from the vobsub
index file and type the subs myself -- then I could fix up the bad
grammar too.

Rich