[MPlayer-users] Hi ! ...and... my first question

Meino Christian Cramer mccramer at s.netic.de
Wed Jan 29 19:29:53 CET 2003

Hi all !

 This is my first mail to this list.

 I am using mencoder in conjunction with libavcodec/ffmpeg on a
 linux box (2.4.20)

 And I have a more "academical problem".... ;O)

 In ./DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt there are two general rules
 given (I exegrate a little to make it more clear):

 1.) Dont encode with more then 0.25 bpp.
 2.) Dont use greater quantizer as 2-3 (2.5).

 A specific DVD of my own "has a problem" (or better: _I_ dont
 understand a certain aspect of all this...):

 _EITHER_ I scale up the frame to get lower bpp values around 0.25
 _OR_ I scale down the frame to get smaller values for the quantizer.

 But regardless what I do, I hurt the one or the other rule.

 I have not the time to encode the whole DVD and to watch it just fpr
 checking, whether everything looks ok...

 Is there any other "rule of thumb" or another technical trick (other
 than scaling or using 5 instead of 2 CDRWs) to circumvent my problem
 ?

 I have used the follwing settings (other settings are the default
 ones):

 #CMP="2"
 #QUANT="mpeg_quant"
 #BITRATE="1345"
 #VB_QFACTOR="vb_qfactor=1.25"
 #VB_QOFFSET="vb_qoffset=0.6"
 #VMAX_B_FRAMES="vmax_b_frames=1"
 #BITRATE="1345"
 #SCALE=720
 #VOPTS="-vop crop=720:296:0:54,scale -zoom -xy $SCALE"

 Any hints? Or did I something totally wrong ???

 Keep Hacking!
 Meino