[MPlayer-users] gui / msg too slow

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 29 21:12:34 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:18:16PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 04:18:26AM +0100, phil wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > I have a smp XP 1800 mod @ MP 1800
> > >  I often play via  NFS . Can stand the msg" system too slow
> > > Here s there a way to  avoid this with " gui = yes "
> > > Of course I can play without.
> > > But boring.
> >
> > Can we PLEASE add an option before 0.90 release which advanced users
> > can put in their config files to permenantly disable the "too slow"
>
> feel free to make & commit/send a patch.

OK, I was under the impression that some people used to feel strongly
that there should NOT be a way to disable it. Glad to hear you're open
to such a patch.

> > message? It's very annoying and you can already tell if it's too slow
> > from A-V: anyway!
>
> not true. A-V: is printed on stdout, gui users won't see it.
> (unless they type 'gmplaier' in xterm, which is rare, they usually start it
> from clicking icon or nautilus or sth)

I wasn't thinking just about gui, but console users too. That message
is annoying enough on console....I can't imagine how awful it must be
to have a dialog box keep popping up! Good thing I don't use gui.

> but still a lot remained:
> - cache vs (now automatic) -ni
> - bad soundcard (-autosync is not default)
> - slow cpu
> - slow vga
> etc

Agree. But for advanced users who already see the message many times,
it's not very useful. Normally when I see the message it's just
because my box is really too slow to play the movie with the filter
chain I'm experimenting with, and I don't really care if A/V desync
because I just want to test filters.

Rich