[MPlayer-users] gui / msg too slow

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 29 21:47:57 CET 2003

Hi,

> > > Can we PLEASE add an option before 0.90 release which advanced users
> > > can put in their config files to permenantly disable the "too slow"
> >
> > feel free to make & commit/send a patch.
>
> OK, I was under the impression that some people used to feel strongly
> that there should NOT be a way to disable it. Glad to hear you're open
> to such a patch.

I vote for being able to disabel it, BUT enable by default, so new users
should see it if their config have problems. When they
- fixed the problems (sounddriver etc)
- upgraded cpu :)
- sold ega and bought a c^Hvga (Gabu?:))
- know what are they doing
then they can disable that.

I'm even not against adding a last line to that message telling users how to
disable it. Anyway we should change that text a little bit.
Starting with a big 'your system is too slow' soulds bad, mayeb we should
print sth like 'you have a configuration problem' or 'mplayer cannot play
this because:'

> > > message? It's very annoying and you can already tell if it's too slow
> > > from A-V: anyway!
> >
> > not true. A-V: is printed on stdout, gui users won't see it.
> > (unless they type 'gmplaier' in xterm, which is rare, they usually start it
> > from clicking icon or nautilus or sth)
>
> I wasn't thinking just about gui, but console users too. That message
> is annoying enough on console....I can't imagine how awful it must be
> to have a dialog box keep popping up! Good thing I don't use gui.

:)

btw if it's 'keep popping up' then something is really bad there.
it shouldn't pop up more than once, unless sth is very bad.

> > but still a lot remained:
> > - cache vs (now automatic) -ni
> > - bad soundcard (-autosync is not default)
> > - slow cpu
> > - slow vga
> > etc
>
> Agree. But for advanced users who already see the message many times,
> it's not very useful. Normally when I see the message it's just
> because my box is really too slow to play the movie with the filter
> chain I'm experimenting with, and I don't really care if A/V desync
> because I just want to test filters.

-nosound ?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino