[MPlayer-users] Re: where is the extra information file created for

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Jul 1 15:02:03 CEST 2003

Hi again!

Did you read the DOC's encoding-tips? There is no such thing as "THE best
quality" because that depends on
- the source stream's format and properties
- whether you do scaling
- which compatibility you want to have (hint: storing aspect for best
quality/size ration, giving up compat. for non-mplayer players)
- and others..

> 1)    I use lavccodec with mpeg4 as codec : How do the pass 1 and pass 2
> work in this case? Like if there is some log file generated by pass 1 to be
> used in pass 2, where does it go? Is it created and sued at ll, because I
> did not see any such file(even during encoding I executed lsof to see list
> of open files).
Look closer. If you really do 2-pass, there MUST be a file as already posted
in our last answers. There is no other way.

> 2)    I uses qpel for quarter pixel motion compensation. But colours start
> spilling from one object to other. Is there any way to remoe this effect
> other than not using qpel?
Sorry, ain't got no clue. ;-)

> 3)    Finally even if I do not give any options to -lavcopts parameter(that
> is i do not specify -lavcopts and various parameters for it at all), I get
> divx compatible movie and quality is excellent, and frame rate of
> conversion is at it's peak. How does this work out because the
> documentation says I must atleast provide divx4/mpeg4 parameter to
> -lavcopts.
How mplayer reacts to non-intended usage cases is subject to change between
any versions. Probably someone put sane default values in it but did not
update the docs. It _is_ a good idea to provide parameters, anyways.

--
Ciao, /  /
     /--/