[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer os x quicktime streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jul 2 00:11:03 CEST 2003

>Yes, it plays nicely enough ("Any encoding, rebroadcast or
>retransmission of this material for the Internet is strictly prohibited
>without prior written approval from Apple Computer"-- ooooh, I'm so
>scared!) but he/she/it wishes to be able to save the stream locally.
>
>-dumpaudio and -dumpvideo both dump successfully (good luck muxing them
>back together!), but -dumpstream fails.  I guess the audio and video are
>coming in on separate streams.

That's correct.  Most RTP audio/video sessions are sent as separate streams
(see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#separate-rtp-streams> for more
about this).

That's why "-dumpstream" doesn't work on sessions like this.  To make this
work, there would need to be a  way to combine the separate audio and video
streams back into a single file (e.g., in ".mp4" format).  This would
probably be outside the scope of MPlayer, but I might someday add this
functionality to "openRTSP" if there is sufficient interest.

         Ross.