[MPlayer-users] Rotating live video through 90 degrees

Peter Whittaker peterw at martellomedia.com
Thu Jul 3 14:01:34 CEST 2003

>> I've been trying to find something that will do this for a while now.
I've
>> been playing with the win32 beta of Mplayer and its very impressive. I
can
>> rotate movie files through 90 degrees no problem, but I haven't figured
out
>> how to take a live video stream in yet and try and rotate it. I suspect
you
>> can't do it with mplayer under windows yet (yes? no?), but if someone
could
>> tell me whether its even possible at all with the linux version it would
>> help.
>>
>> So, can mplayer in linux rotate a live video stream (say, PAL or NTSC TV
>> input) through 90 degrees, without dropping frames and full size?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!

>I don't know exactly what you want to do, but some video cards like
>Matrox support rotating the whole display. You just have to add this
>option in your XF86config file:
>Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>or
>Option "Rotate" "CW"
>
>Regards, Xavier

Xavier thanks for the reply. The problem with rotating the whole display
(under windows) is that it seems to disable the video overlay, forcing any
video to be shown unaccelerated (i.e. low framerate, choppy). Maybe under
linux rotating the display using XF86Config doesn't disable the overlay?

Even though I'm working in Windows, I'm interested to see if what I want to
do is actually possible in any OS with today's video cards. Mplayer rotates
video files through 90 degrees no problem, playing them back smoothly. All I
want to know if the same is possible using a live input signal rather than
an MPEG/AVI/DVD etc.

Peter