[MPlayer-users] Re: how many graphiccards can mplayer handle at thesame time?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Jul 4 08:07:49 CEST 2003

justin case wrote:
> my biggest problem will be controlling the different instances. i have to
> set up several framebuffers and perhaps "assign" several tty consoles to
> them. then i will have to start the players - maybe from a script - on these
> different tty consoles. for controlling them i hope i can write a script
> that sends commands to the different consoles stdin, from wich i understand
> mplayer reads when started in slave mode.

MPlayer and most programs do not require ttys. It won't care what type
of file stdin is connected to. The simplest thing to do is to use a pipe
to connect a controlling process and a subordinate mplayer. Of course,
you have to make sure mplayer uses the correct output video device, but
that is separate from any tty.

Alternatively, you can use FIFOs, or named pipes. It is also possible to
use pty (pseudo terminal) master/slave pairs, but I doubt that is necessary.

Jonathan Rogers