[MPlayer-users] MPlayer *not* playing encrypted Vobs ????

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Wed Jul 9 00:32:12 CEST 2003

Hi there,

 My DVD[rom drive packed up, so I asked a friend to copy a DVD (The Matrix)
for me to an external 30GB disk, which he did from Windows.

 So I now have the encrypted VOBs on hy local disk. First I tried MPlayer
as shipped (libmpdvdkit), and "mplayer video_ts.vob" gives the error msg:
"Encrypted VOB file (not compiled with libcss support)! Read DOCS/cd-dvd.html.".
the next best option is libcss, but that also needs a working DVD drive,
as it need to authenticate to the drive: "Encrypted stream but you did not
request authentication!", and I have a terrible picture that runs at the right
speed etc., but not viewable :(

Now the "fun" part is that the slower ogle do play those VOBs without
any authentication etc. without too much issues from the HDD.

Now the only conclusion I got is that MPlayer doesn't support playing
encrypted vobs without the DVD to decode the stuff on it... Is this true??

Hendrik
Who is still lokking foc libcss-0.0.1...