[MPlayer-users] Re: Core dumped ;) was: playing a ripped dvd

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 9 20:42:16 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Hint: the system's core dump message usually doesn't end in a
> winking smiley... ;)

No, but mplayer could have a signal handler to do that, couldn't it? It
is a confusing message. I had assumed it was a bug until I found this
thread. I hadn't worried about it, since the stream was indeed intact,
but I think it does detract from mplayer's usability, as do some other
misleading "error" messages.

Perhaps the solution would be to move messages that appear to be errors
to verbosity level 1 or 2. This is an example of the type of thing that
doesn't stop people who are willing to take the time to experiment, but
chases casual users away. Maybe that was the intent?

Jonathan Rogers