[MPlayer-users] Re: small machine mPlayer only

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Jul 13 08:54:03 CEST 2003

Mihai Frimu wrote:
> 1. In terms of performance, compared to Windows98se or WindowsXP how
> does Mplayer compare?

That's comparing apples and oranges. Windozen are OSes, while MPlayer is
a movie player. Do you mean Windows Media Player vs. MPlayer?

> I'm using a computer with a 350MHz Celeron CPU, 128MB Ram.
>
> I need full screen playback of MPEG1 video files at 1024x768 resolution.
> In windows98se, it's acceptabe. I installed RedHat 9 and mplayer but in
> full screen it is very slow, even with framedrop.
>
> 2. I would like to make this computer only play mpeg1  files via the
> command line (no user interface/GUI). Would that improve performance?
> Which -vo's do I have to use (my system has a SiS300 video chipset. What
> else might help improve speed?

To minimize CPU usage, either use hardware scaling and colorspace
conversion, or use a video mode close to movie size. If you're using X,
make every attempt to use Xvideo, either through "-vo xv" or "-vo sdl".
If your machine can't keep up, it almost certainly isn't using Xvideo.
The SDL vo can switch modes automatically, so it's worth a try whether
you have Xvideo available or not.

Really, I'm just wasting my time, since I'm just reapeating this:

<URL:http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html>

Jonathan Rogers