[MPlayer-users] Subtitle encoding problem

Steve mrred at linux1.65535.net
Mon Jul 14 15:30:53 CEST 2003

Hello,

I've got a problem when trying to encode subtitles from an mpeg (DVD)
stream into an avi.

Here's my command line when playing (works fine):

mplayer -cache 8192 -sid 3 -ifo VTS_01_0.IFO mymovie.mpg

Here's my command line when encoding (doesn't work):

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000:vpass=1 \
-vop scale=640:272,crop=718:356:0:60 -sid 3 \
-ifo VTS_01_0.IFO -o mymovie.avi mymovie.mpg

2nd pass is same, but vpass=2.

The subtitles appear to be working, but several (1-4) minutes after a
given subtitle appears, it reappears and stays on the screen for several
minutes. It only disappears again when the next (correct) subtitle
appears.

Just as a note, the ifo file is not from the original DVD, but one that
has a nicer looking subtitle palette - could that be my problem?? It's
always worked before.

Thanks

Steve