[MPlayer-users] request: Ogg Speex support

Francis Siefken fsiefken at cs.uu.nl
Tue Jul 15 02:48:05 CEST 2003

As Ogg Speex (an efficient open source speech codec) was finalized in March
I would like to see support of this free speech codec in MPlayer.
There is an XMMS plugin for it but Petr Tomasek mentioned it doesn't work
with MPlayer here:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-June/033805.html

The reason I ask is that I'd like to see support for Speex files on MacOS9
and X with the Mac port of MPlayer - easy to use Speex playback on a Mac
currently doesn't seem to be possible. There appears to be some Speex
QTComponent code for use in iTunes but it is unclear if it can be compiled.

If one implements it - it would be nice if it would support the speexdec
"perceptual enhancement". It sounds better with it.

best wishes,
Francis