[MPlayer-users] small machine mPlayer only

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Jul 20 14:33:35 CEST 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:41:19 -0400
"Mihai Frimu" <mihaif at boiteorange.com> wrote:

PLEASE SWITCH HTML MAILS OFF!

And your lines are damn too long (max should be 65 in mailinglists)
Use the enter key if your mail client cant break them correctly.

> 1. In terms of performance, compared to Windows98se or WindowsXP how does Mplayer compare?

Dont compare apples with bananas, one is a fruit, the other a nut.
mplayer is a movie player, window... well... ;)

> I'm using a computer with a 350MHz Celeron CPU, 128MB Ram.
>
> I need full screen playback of MPEG1 video files at 1024x768 resolution.
> In windows98se, it's acceptabe. I installed RedHat 9 and mplayer but in
> full screen it is very slow, even with framedrop.

Sure it is, you dont have the i/o power to transfere that much data
from your RAM to the graphics card, celeron mainboards are
just too slow for this.

> 2. I would like to make this computer only play mpeg1  files
>via the command line (no user interface/GUI). Would that improve
>performance? Which -vo's do I have to use
>(my system has a SiS300 video chipset. What else might help improve speed?

You didnt read the documentation, did you ?

			Attila Kinali

--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,