[MPlayer-users] Need suggestions for Video Card & Sound Card

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Fri Jul 25 20:08:31 CEST 2003

> > As for the sound side of it, I'd say an SB Live 5.1 should do nicely.
> I liked my SB Live until I had problems recording audio with mencoder...
>   If you are using ALSA, you might get it working, but recording audio
> from the default OSS drivers will definately not work.  Sound quality
> between a SB Live and a $10 Ensoniq is nominal, so I'd suggest you save
> your money...  If you need digital output, that's not an option
> unfortunately.

SB live using OSS (well, default kernel...) drivers works like a charm
over here for several years now. You might want to try some tweaking
though, like removing all signal routes and then only create the one you
actually use. Also for some inputs you need to use the gain input to get
the input signal to 0 db. And you shouldn't use the ac97 inputs (like
line and tv in), they're very hard to get right. If you stick to the
input and outputs of the extra bracket "liveDrive II", it works like a
charm.