[MPlayer-users] TV grabbing problem

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jul 28 11:42:49 CEST 2003

Lenart Jozsef wrote:
> I have a KWorld KW-TV878RF tuner card.
As do I.

> When i watching tv with mplayer the picture is almost black&white
Hmm, not sure what to tell you.  Mine works just fine.  Although, I am
using an NTSC model, you seem to be using a PAL version.

> when i'm watching the tv (with xawtv), the audio is almost clear, but
> when i grab (with xawtv or mencoder, doesn't matter) the audio is _very_
> noisy. Why ? (-ovc pcm, with -ovc mp3lame i get no sound...)
I had the same problem with my on-board cmpci soundchip.  Searching the
web I found that others have had the same problem, and it appears to be
a problem with the newer Linux driver.  You could use a different
soundcard (that's what I did, but I was planning on doing that anyhow)
or you could try using the alsa drivers, which might work.

When you say '-ovc pcm/mp3', do you mean '-oac'?  If so, why do you say
audio is noisy if you aren't getting sound?

> I get 19 fps in this resolution, and after approx. 90 sec hard
> framedropping begins. With winDVR (under win2k) i've grabbed in the same
> resolution and the framerate was 25 fps without framedrop. So, mencoder
> _must be_ faster than a m$ crap, what is the problem ?
I've never tried WinDVR, does it actually do realtime MPEG4-encoding?
If not, it's not much of a comparison.  You should try 'nice -n -19' as
a prefix to the mencoder command, that should help if you haven't already.

After using mencoder for a while, I've learned it isn't the most
effecient TV-capture program, but I'm not sure what can be done to make
it much better...  Maybe some caching would help.