[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2 Encoder.

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Wed Jul 30 16:33:56 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 13:20, Konstantinos Karydas wrote:
> I know that DVDs are mpeg2 structured but what I want to get is a good
> mpeg2 file out of the DVD for Mpeg2 testing purposes (for example, by using
> the mpgtx tool, I want to split, then re-join the file and get good
> playback both for the splitted files and the rejoined one etc.). Usually
> DVDs do not have clear mpeg2 files inside their structured directories, so
> I want to trasform what they have inside into a mpeg2-ps or mpeg2-ts file
> or whatever is best. I hope you've got a picture of what I want.

Ok, anyway there is only one mpeg2 encoder available under linux, and that is
mpeg2enc from the mjpegtools package (mjpeg.sourceforge.net). You can feed it
with the -vo yuv4mpeg setting. This will mean re-encoding, though, so it can
take a while. I know of some shareware windoze tools that can extract a good
clean mpeg2 from dvds without re-encoding.