[MPlayer-users] Compile with new kernel

gabucino at mplayerhq.hu gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Thu Jul 31 21:00:07 CEST 2003

Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> > > Arghh, this is BAD. It shouldn't be done this way!
> > 6 years of Linux experience, and no problems caused by this :)
> Just compilation errors, like vo fbdev as you can see :)
I believe you, but I haven't encountered these errors. How would fbdev
relate to glibc? :)

> And how said that kernel should be at /usr/src/linux?
I compile in /home/linux because my root partition is intentionally
small :)

> can you symlink then? :) And if you're using multiple kernels, let's say
> a 2.4.x for daily work, and 2.6.0-test2 for testing? You should relink
> /usr/include/linux each time you boot into a new kernel? ;-)
My glibc is probably compiled against 2.4.1x (LFS), the kernel headers
are currently 2.4.20 because I'm too lazy to upgrade it, and the kernel
varies from 19 to 21 :)

> /lib/modules/(kernel-version)/build/include/linux
>
> If you look around, you will notice that this is the method used by
> most people nowdays.
Yes, and I am EXTREMELY annoyed by it. As I said, I compile in /home/linux,
then of course delete it to free space. However, some programs get the
nasty habit of using this /lib/modules/(kernel-version)/build/include/linux
symlink (which points to /home/linux), then failing... And I become ideg :)
Linux just gets worse day by day.

> my kernel is in /home/lgb and not in /usr/src ;-)
Congrats for your 80Gb HDD :)

> > > replaced
> > Recompile glibc on kernel upgrade. Muhaha. :)
> Recompile IF you do that stupid symlinking!
Never needed..

> > > And if you don't beleive me, ask kernel developers.
> > Those gcc 2.95+1 fans? :)
> Far from it. ;-)
;) Well, we are talking about Linus and Alan Cox.. :)

> I mean REAL developers.
Are they not? :)

> Gabu, as you know I like you :), but please do not argue, I think I know
> much more about kernel than you :)
I can't agree more. However, I also have many many years of Linux experience,
and I _never ever_ encountered any bug from kernel vs glibc "incompatiblity".

> It's a pointless argument, and you try to show your truth with jokes and
> hypes, but not actual technical facts ...
It's pointless, but because I haven't seen any real proof on your claim :)

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team