[MPlayer-users] Compile with new kernel

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Jul 31 22:29:56 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:00:07PM +0200, gabucino at mplayerhq.hu wrote:

> > > 6 years of Linux experience, and no problems caused by this :)
> > Just compilation errors, like vo fbdev as you can see :)
> I believe you, but I haven't encountered these errors. How would fbdev
> relate to glibc? :)

That's it. It's not related. SO TAKE AWAY FROM GLIB'S /usr/include/linux!!
Include the file directly from the kernel source! This is what I'm talking
about!!!!! And not only me, read my last posted "long" mail about the topic.

> > can you symlink then? :) And if you're using multiple kernels, let's say
> > a 2.4.x for daily work, and 2.6.0-test2 for testing? You should relink
> > /usr/include/linux each time you boot into a new kernel? ;-)
> My glibc is probably compiled against 2.4.1x (LFS), the kernel headers

Yeah ;-) Funnny ;-) EVEN IN THE FAQ OF LFS there is the info you SHOULD NOT
symlink, and /usr/include/linux should be header files glibc was compiled
against :) So you're now in a logic bubble :) See again my last long mail.

> Yes, and I am EXTREMELY annoyed by it. As I said, I compile in /home/linux,
> then of course delete it to free space. However, some programs get the

Then this was not the right move ;-) Because at least include directory
should be preserved:

1. eg you want to compile a separatly distributes kernel module against
   your kernel which source was already deleted by you ;-)
2. If you wanna to exploit a new kernel feature, you should include kernel
   headers and NOT from /usr/include/linux!

Again, read my "long" mail ...

> > my kernel is in /home/lgb and not in /usr/src ;-)
> Congrats for your 80Gb HDD :)

/usr is read-only mounted ;-> And it's small, and /usr is not for it.

> > > Those gcc 2.95+1 fans? :)
> > Far from it. ;-)
> ;) Well, we are talking about Linus and Alan Cox.. :)

Yeah, if you think that you knows better than they I won't write any other
mail about this topic, since it would be a "no comment gabu" category
about yourself. However, READ my last long mail again, and even Linux
thinks this topic the same way as me.

My only problem that why can't you understand the facts according logical
reasoning instead of start the flame, that you're the no#1 Linux expert
in the world, and Linus (and many others) are just too stupid for this.

- Gábor (larta'H)