[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] problem detecting an mpeg file

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Thu Jun 12 11:35:26 CEST 2003

Jonathan Rogers wrote:

>> True MPEG4 can for instance be played by Quicktime or the free
>> Philips player:
>>
>> www.mpeg-4.philips.com <http://www.mpeg-4.philips.com>
>>
>> and choose 'downloads' in the following website.

> Of course MPlayer can play MPEG-4 files as well. It sounds like this
> question was asked by yet another person mistaking MPlayer for
> mplayer.exe. It is rather unfortunate that MPlayer doesn't have a more
> unique name.

Could be indeed, I hadn't thought of that option.

But I assumed the guy had a MPEG4 file created with MPlayer and tried to
play it with Windows Media Player (so either mplayer2.exe or wmplayer.exe),
because he said 'win media player'. In that case, failure is logical as I
explained.

However if the question is - as you think - why MPlayer cannot play MPEG4 -
even though it should - I would advise the original question-poster to post
the full output of the player and tell how he installed/compiled. This would
enable us to check if he's realy using MPEG4 or something else like DivX,
and whether the right codecs were installed/compiled in.

So mr 'don MINETT' show us your info in that case. :-)

Regards,

Armin