[MPlayer-users] Re: Playing xcd image files

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Jun 19 15:01:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:32:59 -0500
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:

> I've also been interested in putting OGM's on CD-R's in Mode 2 to
> get more space, but I've had a hard time finding howto information
> or tools.

There's not that much to it. Once you have your OGM you use
mode2cdmaker and cdrdao as per the readme.txt. The only wrinkle is
cdrdao needs a SCSI ID for the CD writer so if you have an IDE CD you
need to set up IDE-SCSI emulation and the generic SCSI driver.

> I have found mode2cdmaker, but I have trouble playing the
> first movie in the images it creates with mplayer's cue:// URI.

mplayer vcd://2 -cuefile movie.cue

> If I place a filler file in the first position, things seem to work.

Even without a filler file the movie will be track 2.

> Also, cdrdao doesn't seem to like the TOC files mode2cdmaker makes,
> so I haven't figured out how to burn such an image.

It usually works for me. Maybe newer versions have become
incompatible?

> Which archives are you referring to? Do you mean this list or
> monter-movies? I read their FAQ, but I haven't found a way to
> connect to the newsgroup itself yet.

You may need a better news server than your ISP provides.

> Have you had success making such images using *nix tools? If so,
> could you point me in the right direction?

I have made several of my own OGMs into XCDs. On the other hand a
minority of the alleged XCD images from monter-movies have not worked,
some because they depend on overburning which my CD writer will not do
and some because the image appears not to be a valid XCD.

Martin