[MPlayer-users] dvdnav

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Mar 2 20:47:18 CET 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 04:36:45PM +0100, Jonas Jermann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:37:03AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:55:06PM -0500, Dennis D Courtney wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > I guess I'll just have to use Xine to watch dvds then.  Oh well.
> >
> > Why do so many people insist on wading through annoying toy menus,
> > previews, fbi wanrings, and other junk trying to get to the actual
> > movie?? *sigh* Just use mplayer -dvd <titleno> and you can jump
> > straight into the movie, which is presumably what you bought the dvd
> > for...
>
> Over 90% of my DVDs have very strange title settings. As you probably
> know anime DVDs often split then main movie over multiple titles
> (sessions). Sometimes it's really strange: title id 4,7,13,14 for the
> main movie etc... Some DVDs contain over 30 titles, and title 1
> is not the main movie (17 ;). In such cases it's just easier to
> use a menu IMO. But I just use ogle then, as dvdnav in mplayer is
> just not useable and maybe not usefull neither...

Hmm. Most of mine are much cleaner than this. But I always rip to
mpeg4 anyway rather than watching the original DVD. That was the DVD
doesn't get scratched, and I can fix any interlacing/telecine crap.

My take on the whole situation is that DVD is a really nasty format
(made for TV framerates rather than film, silly menus and extra junk,
timestamps randomly resetting in the middle of the stream which make
seeking without first indexing the whole disc impossible, etc.). So
yes DVD is a nice way to obtain high quality copies of movies... But
it's not a nice format for actually *watching*... :(

Rich