[MPlayer-users] Fuzzy DVDs?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 12 00:43:02 CET 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 04:59:20PM -0500, nuffer wrote:
> I was wondering why one of my DVDs makes the images turn all fuzzy
> around the edges when  the picture is in motion (this doesnt happen on
> the DVD player hooked up to my tv, so its not  the fault of the
> encoding).  Heres the output of loading the dvd:

Yes it is, it's called interlacing. :( You can try playing the dvd
with the -vop pp=XX, where XX is whichever of lb, ci, md, or fd gives
the best results, but this will reduce quality too. If only 2 out of
every 5 frames are interlaced, it's probably telecine, and you can try
-vop detc to repair it, but this is very slow so you'll probably have
to rip it first with mencoder and then watch it unless your computer
is VERY fast.

Rich