[MPlayer-users] ALSA (0.9.1) + mplayer (0.90rc4) + Audigy2 + channels & surround problem

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Mar 14 21:50:53 CET 2003

Zdenek Pizl wrote:
> Hallo all,
>
>  finally I got my Audigy 2 soundcard and Genius SW HomeTheatre 5.1 repro.
> I've installed ALSA emu10k1 - the system sound worked. Then I tried to play a
> movie and noticed the sound isn't going from all speakers but only from rear
> and center+subwoofer ones. The front left/right is quiet.
>
>  I know about mplayer options -channels 6 and/or -ao alsa9:surround51 but all
> these result into NOSOUND :(
>
>  Is it possible to made mplayer to use 5.1 reprosystem even when the movie has
> only 2 channels? I think so, but I cannot managed it ...
>
> BTW - where can I get all options and suboptions of mplayer. 'cause i.e.
> alsa9:surround51 isn't described in neither man nor htdocs (or didn't I find
> it?)
>
> Thanks in advance
> 					Z.P.

I don't think there's any list around, though I'd appreciate one as I've
been investigating multi-channel capabilities myself lately. Some
options that I know of:

alsa9:front		output with front speakers
alsa9:rear		output with rear speakers
alsa9:surround51	set soundcard to 6-channel output
alsa9:surround40	set soundcard to 4-channel output
alsa9:hw:1,0		use soundcard #1 (the second card), subdevice 0

Corrections and additions from anyone would be great!

-Corey