[MPlayer-users] subtitles - bug or bad DVD?

Petr Pajas pajas at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Mar 20 09:46:50 CET 2003

Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> writes:

>> So I tried "mplayer -dvd 1 -sid 7", and yes - swedish subtitles.
>> MPlayer-0.90-rc4 and rc5 both act this way. What's up?
>
> nothing special - the usual badly mastered DVD disc
> (the sub mapping table badly filled, but as most dvd player equip/software
> uses the graphic menus to select language, instead of parsing the ifo
> mapping table data, they don't care)

Hi,

I have a DVD like that as well (LOTR 4DVD Czech version). I tried to
play it with VLC compiled with libdvdread and libdvdplay (or what's
the new nav library called). Even though (at least my compile of) VLC
is not able to show DVD menus for me, it recognises the subtitle
streams well. So I can select Czech subs using its native right-click
popup menu (similar to that of gmplayer) and I don't need to go
through the real DVD menus. (BTW, VLC's deinterlacing sucks)

I wander, if some of the VLC/libdvdplay or whatever opensource code
could be ported or hacked into mplayer to give it an alternative way
of finding out which subtitle stream is which? (It does not imply that
I vote for full DVD menus - I find them rather annoying).

-- Petr