[MPlayer-users] CRASH: quicktime files

Robert Dingman rdingman at sentex.net
Mon Mar 24 22:18:17 CET 2003

 >CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 PM Palomino/Athlon MP
 >Multiprocessor/Athlon XP eXtreme Performance (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
 >Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
 >CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
 >Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

mplayer has appeared to not detect the SSE registers in your cpu. If it
has them (I think it does), I believe the quicktime dll files detect
them automatically and use them. Even though mplayer can apparently be
compiled to not use these registers, you don't have the same control
over the dll binaries!

Even though you are using BSD and I am using Linux, our situations
appear similar. In my case, I need to upgrade to the 2.4.x kernel. (The
2.2.x kernel I'm using appears to not support the SSE extensions. The
2.2.20 kernel I was using when I reported the crash did not correctly
identify my CPU (It's a Celeron, not a PIII.) or the existence of the
SSE registers; subsequently, I upgraded to kernel 2.2.25 which shows
it's a Celeron with SSE registers but regardless, it appears not to
support them.)

For my e-mail thread see:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-March/031271.html

Bob Dingman