[MPlayer-users] Re: TiVo Enabled Mplayer

usenet at wingert.org usenet at wingert.org
Tue Mar 25 03:18:37 CET 2003

I think you are missing the point.  I wasn't refering to mplayer in
general, I was refering to my code changes to support TiVo ty streams.

If you do a bit of research on these type of streams (which you
haven't), you'll see there can be significant issues with invalid video/audio
ES packets and with highly skewed PTS.  These problems can cause the
MPEG2 decoder in mplayer to crash hard (ie Sig11).

There is a significant processing overhead to repair tystreams.  I didn't
want to burden mplayer with these repairs while playing.  It would
be more processing effective to take that really bad stream and pass
it through a repair program such as tydemux and get a true PES stream.
One should also note that the number of really bad streams is really low.

Does this make sense or is it still silly to you?