[MPlayer-users] Re: TiVo Enabled Mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 25 04:29:46 CET 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 06:18:37PM -0800, usenet at wingert.org wrote:
> I think you are missing the point.  I wasn't refering to mplayer in
> general, I was refering to my code changes to support TiVo ty streams.
>
> If you do a bit of research on these type of streams (which you
> haven't), you'll see there can be significant issues with invalid video/audio
> ES packets and with highly skewed PTS.  These problems can cause the
> MPEG2 decoder in mplayer to crash hard (ie Sig11).
>
> There is a significant processing overhead to repair tystreams.  I didn't
> want to burden mplayer with these repairs while playing.  It would
> be more processing effective to take that really bad stream and pass
> it through a repair program such as tydemux and get a true PES stream.
> One should also note that the number of really bad streams is really low.
>
> Does this make sense or is it still silly to you?

Not silly at all. Thanks for the explanation. If repairing broken
streams isn't too complicated it might be worth doing in MPlayer, but
it sounds like you're saying it *is* rather complicated.

I still think the statement "mplayer is not a player for bad streams"
sounds a bit confusing though, since MPlayer is intended to handle
broken files in general. No big deal though.

Rich