[MPlayer-users] VBR sync problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 31 16:55:15 CEST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:46:08PM +0800, Michael Collard wrote:
> Sorry again to reply to myself.
>
> I have now ruled out many things trying to fix this problem of sync out
> by 200ms - 300ms
>
> 1) It is not related to the version of libmp3lame.
> 2) Occurs with most all versions of MPlayer tried (RC2,RC3,RC4,RC5)
> 3) Occurs in 2 pass, 3 pass and single pass mode.
> 4) Does not happen when using CBR MP3.
> 5) Occurs on MDK9 (despite what I said), Gentoo & MDK9.1
> 6) Allowing normal users access to /dev/rtc does not fix ALL encodings.
> 7) Occurs under any user, or superuser.
> 8) Occurs with different -vo or -ao options when playing.
>
> This is very frustrating FFS. I would simply like a confirmation if this
> is a known problem or just something sporadic. I will most certainly
> give anyone a clip of these encoding if they wish to test.

It's known in the sense that you and other people have repeatedly
reported it, but not known in the sense that the developers have never
observed it. Are you POSITIVE it's not related to your version of
mp3lame or perhaps to a broken version of gcc? If you haven't tried
downloading lame tarball and compiling it yourself manually, DO THAT.
And make sure you don't have an old/broken copy lying around that's
getting used instead of the new one.

> Michael Collard, Microsoft Certified Professional

Probably not a good idea to advertise that on this list... :))

Rich