[MPlayer-users] VBR sync problem

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 31 23:56:29 CEST 2003

I am discovering more about this every day. I am now close to a
resolution though don't understand why. Even with different compilers &
libmp3lame (have tried 2 known stable versions of each). For example,
creating a AVI with VBR audio using a lameopts tag of 'VBR=4' results in
MUCH better sync. The reason I chose 4 over 2 (default in mplayer
manpage) is because Lame uses 4 by default.

There are a number of things I don't yet understand, such as why not all
sources cause this even with same encoding options. I can capture TV
will little difficulty, and it works like a treat. No sync loss!

Avidemux also seems to think that any MP3 stream I have written with
mplayer is also errorous, or broken or even missing. Trying to
interleave variable audio data I can understand may be quite difficult
but this problem I have witnessed on many systems and OSs. Where there
an option to manually align the streams I don't worry about it.

As I try more, I will find out the cause of this. I have done enough
playing around with libraries etc.

Thanks for your reply.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~quadfour