[MPlayer-users] mplayer Athlon XP trouble

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri May 2 05:37:13 CEST 2003

Marc-Tell Volkmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since 6 Month I tell you, that the mplayer does not work on my machine.
> Yesterday I have found the solution for that trouble.
> The fault was the Bios of my mainboard.
> I own a k7s5a lan mainboard ( elitegroup ) with 512MB DDR RAM an a Athlon
> XP2200+ CPU.
> I had compiled mplayer with mmx,sse,3dnow,... and without mmx,ss,3dnow,...
> but the trouble was not gone.
> With the official Bios mplayer doesn´t work on my board but after an update
> with a inofficial bios update ( cheepobios 1.12 ) mplayer starts to work fine
> :-)

What specifically was MPlayer doing? Was it crashing (Signal 11,
SIGSEGV, Segfault, etc)? What -vo and -ao were you using? Did you try
different video out and audio out modules? If something in the BIOS were
preventing MPlayer from working, I would expect it to profoundly affect
the OS and other programs, since MPlayer doesn't use the BIOS directly
itself.

Jonathan Rogers