[MPlayer-users] bpp expressed quality for mpeg4?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat May 3 01:36:56 CEST 2003

Matthew W. Miller wrote:
> That is, (by the author's recommendation) 0.25 bits/pixel will look
> really good, but having more than 0.25 bits/pixel won't really bring
> dramatic improvements.
> 	That said, of course, the best options are what looks good
> enough to the viewer(s).

This can't be over-emphasized: it's all about viewer perception, which
is subjective. Also, the quality of the equipment (monitor, video card,
etc) will affect how much detail and artifacting can be seen. To me, the
decision about bpp is mostly about optimizing picture quality given a
certain total video size. Is it better to go with .2 bpp and 560x320, or
go for .25 with a smaller frame size? It all depends on the source material.

Jonathan Rogers