[MPlayer-users] bpp expressed quality for mpeg4?

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Sat May 3 09:05:28 CEST 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 23:24, Matthew W. Miller wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:19:02PM +0200, Fabio Papa wrote:
> >looking in encoding-tips.txt, I came across a list of bpp sample values
> >with relatives expected results. I am talking about this:
> >< 0.25: It will look really good.
> >
> >> 0.25: It won't really improve visually.
> >
> >As you can see, there are two lines with the same bpp value, 0.25.
> >What's the correct values?
>
> That is, (by the author's recommendation) 0.25 bits/pixel will look
> really good, but having more than 0.25 bits/pixel won't really bring
> dramatic improvements.
> 	That said, of course, the best options are what looks good
> enough to the viewer(s).
Heh, you know, I _just_ noticed the less than and major than signs!
Anyway, I would like to ask another question on bpp: if I specify a too
high value, let's say .50 or .60, to make sure a clip gets out really
well, don't care about space, do you think it's possible that the
countquant.pl script gets confused? I mean, I was getting higher qs
with .60 than .25. Is that explanable in some way?
Thanks!

--
Fabio Papa
MCE S.r.l.