[MPlayer-users] Fonts

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 7 21:23:38 CEST 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 01:17:04PM -0500, davidgn at servidor.unam.mx wrote:

> Hello.
> I was just wondering, why does every movie has jagged subtitles?
> Is there anything I can do to make the subtitles appear as smooth as the time
> osd font? I have tried some few combinations, but as there are so many, Im not
> sure if Im missing something.

DVD subtitles are horrible ugly bitmaps, so that's why they look bad.
If you want to smooth them out, add spuaa=20 to your .mplayer/config
(or put -spuaa 20 on the command line), but it may make mplayer slow
down slightly when a subtitle is displayed.

> Also, what command parameters should I use to extract the subtitles file? I
> would like to rewrite some with other language... hum,... can mplayer display
> non-latin characters?

Since they are bitmaps, it's not that easy... However, you can use
-vobsubout with mencoder to extract them as "vobsub" files, then look
at the timings in the .idx file to duplicate them in your own
hand-written text subs.

And yes, mplayer can use non-latin characters, but I don't know
anything about that.

Rich