Re: [MPlayer-users] Having problems ripping a telecine dvd [León:the professional Director's cut]

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri May 9 07:18:59 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Yes, well regarding the details of picking the right aspect after
> cropping...if you get latest mplayer CVS, you can just use -lavcopts
> autoaspect and forget about having to do any computations. :))
>
> But you still need to make sure you're fully cropping the black
> borders and any artifacts around the edges of the picture, or encoding
> quality will severely suffer. Stuff like this is hard to automate.

That'll certainly be nice to have it automatically computed. Maybe I
should use HEAD instead of 0.90. It is more difficult to automate
cropping. The human has provide input at least to choose the frame of
the video. Then, cropdetect does most of the work, though I've had to
adjust the sensitivity to get what I want. A better cropdetect would
probably need to detect the rectangular shape or the edge instead of
just using a trigger level. Come to think of it, it might not be too
hard to find an existing edge detect method and write a filter. If I
ever feel motivated to learn MPlayer internals, I'll probably try it.

I certainly understand what you're saying about human intelligence being
needed to optimize everything. Currently, the encoder seems to be able
to do a pretty good job of optimizing visual quality in a given sequence
of frames, given a certain total number of bits. However, the human
still has to balance frame size and bpp. Video is obviously quite a bit
more complex than sound, so it will probably be a while before we see
something like oggenc or lame's quality setting. After all, only a human
can truly see like a human.

Jonathan Rogers