[MPlayer-users] Mplayer can't play this file

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat May 31 19:13:57 CEST 2003

lucida wrote:
> An 1920x1280 wmv file, mplayer can't play it.
>
> http://hdshowcase.microsoft.com/trailers/coralreef/Coralreef_1080p.exe

When you want to start a new topic, don't use the "reply" function of
your mail client - it makes your mail show up buried within a thread,
where it is more likely to be overlooked (or ignored out of irritation).

Also, never cut mplayer output. Always show us all the messages, from
start to finish, even if you think they aren't relevant.

For anyone wondering, the above link is to a self extracting zip file,
which contains the wmv.

I can play it mostly all right on my system, but since it's such a high
resolution I get A-V desync (naturally). Also, if the desync gets too
far (about 5 seconds off) the audio quits with "Too many video packets
in the buffer". This doesn't happen if I use -framedrop, so if my CPU
were beefier, it would play fine.

As for why you can't play the file, the problem might be a limitation of
your video card. Type xvinfo and look for a line like this:
maximum XvImage size: 2046 x 2046

Is 1920x1280 in excess of the maximum size? This line from your mplayer
output would seem to indicate that 1022x748 is the highest:
[xv] dx: 0 dy: 0 dw: 1022 dh: 748

If you want you can try using -vo x11, but that'll be a performance hit.

-Corey