[MPlayer-users] mpeg_quant test

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Nov 7 10:36:08 CET 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

>Hmm, I thought I was talking about removing ringing or blocking. IMO

Oh. Ok.

To Michael: I'll try to prepare some samples for maybe Tuesday.

Btw, one example is in "Star Wreck 5" (http://www.starwreck.com).
There are both MPEG-1 and MPEG-4 (Divx) versions.
At about 2403s (6085 frames) the Korg ship is flying away... in the MPEG-1
version it's OK, but the MPEG-4 version leaves trails.
But I'll try to prepare better (smaller) example.

>> VP6. But certainly H.264 _is_ better than MPEG-4 so something's wrong.
>Just because it's a better format doesn't mean the encoder they tested
>is better than lavc's mpeg4...

Well, if the performance was so bad, i would say that they must have been
crippled the H.264 encoder in purpose. Sure one can make intraframe H.264
encoder, but comparing it to anything doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, in the last few weeks I've been running the H.264 reference encoder
to compare it to ffmpeg's MPEG-4. The results are now ready, I'll make some
graphs of them soon. The first result is that it's damn slow.