[MPlayer-users] XvMC question

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Mon Nov 24 07:03:35 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:17:15PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > 	Are there extra steps that must be taken to enable and use the
> > 	XvMC extension?
>
> XvMC is only useful for playing mpeg1/2. You can't play mpeg4 ("divx")
> with it...

	So I discovered after experimenting and cranking up the debug level,
	and so on.

	Is that a "at the moment" (hasn't been implemented yet), a
	"can not be done" or a "it doesn't make sense" type of "can't"?

	Even playing a mpeg1/2 file I found that it was necessary to
	add "-vc ffmpeg12mc" to the command line and it worked nicely.

	Seems to have cut the cpu usage in half but that's was just
	a glance at xosinfo when I wasn't watching the movie ;)

	Steven Schultz