[MPlayer-users] XvMC question

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Nov 24 18:14:10 CET 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:03:35PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:17:15PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > 	Are there extra steps that must be taken to enable and use the
> > > 	XvMC extension?
> >
> > XvMC is only useful for playing mpeg1/2. You can't play mpeg4 ("divx")
> > with it...
>
> 	So I discovered after experimenting and cranking up the debug level,
> 	and so on.
>
> 	Is that a "at the moment" (hasn't been implemented yet), a
> 	"can not be done" or a "it doesn't make sense" type of "can't"?

It's a matter of "can not be done" as in the hardware specifically
does not support it. Remember, the hardware is made for sheep who want
to play dvds rather than for people who want to download free movies.

Actually there are some potential hacks that may allow simple mpeg4
files ("divx4" limits) to be played with the current hardware, but
they're complicated to do.

Rich