[MPlayer-users] XvMC question

Hugo Mills hugo at carfax.org.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:09:07 CET 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:14:10PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:03:35PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

> > > XvMC is only useful for playing mpeg1/2. You can't play mpeg4 ("divx")
> > > with it...
> >
> > 	So I discovered after experimenting and cranking up the debug level,
> > 	and so on.
> >
> > 	Is that a "at the moment" (hasn't been implemented yet), a
> > 	"can not be done" or a "it doesn't make sense" type of "can't"?
>
> It's a matter of "can not be done" as in the hardware specifically
> does not support it. Remember, the hardware is made for sheep who want
> to play dvds rather than for people who want to download free movies.
>
> Actually there are some potential hacks that may allow simple mpeg4
> files ("divx4" limits) to be played with the current hardware, but
> they're complicated to do.

   Actually, that doesn't answer the question of whether XvMC could be
used to play MPEG4 through a chip (like the em8400) which *does* have
the capability to decode MPEG4. Is XvMC general enough to handle that,
or is it geared specifically towards MPEG1/2?

   (I should point out that I'm only asking this in a spirit of
enquiry -- I have no need, or even hardware, for this at present).

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk